THE EDGE
VACATION & HOLIDAY GUIDE TO
CUMBRIA & THE LAKE DISTRICT


Workington Hall

Workington Hall Cumbria Lake District

 

WORKINGTON
HALL
Location:
OS ref
NY 008288
Sheet 89.
In the outskirts
of Workington
just to the right
of the A66 as
you enter the
town from the
east.

 

Appleby
Castle

Brough
Castle

Brougham
Castle

Carlisle
Castle

Dacre
Castle

Dalton
Castle

Egremont
Castle

Kendal
Castle

Muncaster
Castle

Pendragon
Castle

Penrith
Castle

Piel
Castle

Sizergh
Castle

Workington Hall is a shadow of its former self, although recent conservation work will prevent it from further decay.

A licence to crenelate was granted to Gilbert de Curwen IV in 1380, whose family had owned the manor since the early C13. Mary Queen of Scots stayed at the Hall when escaping from Scotland in the 1560s. The Hall stayed in the Curwen family until around 1930 when it passed to the Chance family by marriage. Eventually the Hall was given to the Town Council but it fell into such a state of disrepair that some parts were demolished to make it safe. This was in 1946 and shows the thinking that went on in council chambers around the whole country around that time. While European cities and towns restored what had been damaged in the war, their UK equivalents demolished anything they could and put up the most woeful examples of 'modern' architecture. These are thankfully more enlightened times, and it is now rare for towns and cities deliberately to destroy their historical assets.

 

   

Castles
Index
History
Index
Workington
Town
Main
Index

 Best viewed at 800x600

Copyright EDGE 2001