THE EDGE
VACATION & HOLIDAY GUIDE TO
CUMBRIA & THE LAKE DISTRICT


Dacre Castle Cumbria

 

DACRE
CASTLE
Location:
OS ref
NY4661265
Sheet 90.
Near the village
of Dacre, 5mls/
8km East of
Penrith off the
A66 or A592.

Appleby
Castle

Brough
Castle

Brougham
Castle

Carlisle
Castle

Dalton
Castle

Egremont
Castle

Kendal
Castle

Muncaster
Castle

Pendragon
Castle

Penrith
Castle

Piel
Castle

Sizergh
Castle

Workington
Hall

Dacre Castle a three storey tower house you see today was probably built in the mid C14 to replace the original, of circa 1307 when William de Dacre was given a licence to crenelate. This was so badly damaged by the Scots in 1317 that it required a complete rebuild.

Dacre seems to have been abandoned for the most part of the C16 and C17, until in 1674 Thomas Lennard, Lord Dacre, made it habitable once again. His arms can be seen above the door.

The castle was bought in 1716 by Christopher Musgrave after the death of Lord Dacre, but allowed to fall into disrepair. The Hasell family of nearby Dalemain bought it and used it as a farm house. Its condition did not improve until 1961 when restoration was begun. It is open to the public, but a written appointment must be made.

 

 

 

Castles
Index
History
Index
Penrith
Town
Main
Index
Next
Castle

 

 Best viewed at 800x600

Copyright EDGE 2001