THE EDGE
VACATION & HOLIDAY GUIDE TO
CUMBRIA & THE LAKE DISTRICT


Brough Castle Cumbria

Brough Castle Cumbria Lake District English History

 

 

BROUGH
CASTLE
Location:
OS ref
NY 792142
Sheet 91.
Just to the W
of the A685
0.5mls S of
Brough.

Appleby
Castle

Brougham
Castle

Carlisle
Castle

Dacre
Castle

Dalton
Castle

Egremont
Castle

Kendal
Castle

Muncaster
Castle

Pendragon
Castle

Penrith
Castle

Piel
Castle

Sizergh
Castle

Workington
Hall

Brough Castle is built on the site of a Roman Fort (Verterae, the outlines of which are still just visible), to the south of the town of Brough, and approached through the village of Church Brough, the Castle is undergoing some consolidation work under the care of English Heritage.

Built around 1090 by King William II the Castle has a chequered and bloody history. In 1136 it was seized by the Scots as was Appleby Castle nearby. Both were held by the Scots until 1157 when they were retaken by the English and given by the Crown to Hugh de Morville, though repossessed in 1173. The Scots almost destroyed the Castle in 1174 but between 1179 and 1190 Theobold de Valoines carried out much needed restoration work to improve its withered defences.Thereafter, the Castle stayed in Crown control until 1203 when King John gave it to Robert de Vipont.

The Castle passed into the Clifford family's hands through marriage in 1269 and was occupied by members of the family until 1521 when it was extensively damaged by fire. Lady Anne Clifford set about the restoration of the castle in 1660-61. On her death in 1679 it passed to her grandson Thomas Tufton who took stone from its walls, to be used on the improvements being made to Appleby Castle. In 1763 Brough Castle was partly demolished.

There is still enough to see to make it worthwhile taking a close look, and the Castle makes a striking sight when seen from the A66 road.

 

 

Castles
Index
History
Index
Main
Index
Next
Castle

 

Best viewed at 800x600

Copyright EDGE 2001