THE EDGE
VACATION & HOLIDAY GUIDE TO
CUMBRIA & THE LAKE DISTRICT


Brougham Castle Cumbria

Brougham Castle Cumbria. The history of England, Cumbria lake district

 

 

BROUGHAM
CASTLE
Location:
OS ref
NY 538289
Sheet 90.
2mls/3km from
Penrith via
Eamont Bridge
on the A6 and
the B6262, or
via the A66.

Appleby
Castle

Brough
Castle

Carlisle
Castle

Dacre
Castle

Dalton
Castle

Egremont
Castle

Kendal
Castle

Muncaster
Castle

Pendragon
Castle

Penrith
Castle

Piel
Castle

Sizergh
Castle

Workington
Hall

Brougham Castle - Pronounced 'Broom', was founded by Hugh de Morville sometime between 1157 and 1173 though the first written record is dated 1228 after the death of Robert de Vipont into whose possession the castle had passed in 1203. At some point between 1228 and 1269 the Castle was allowed to fall into decay.

In 1269 the Castle passed to the Clifford family. A licence to crenelate ( that is to allow the building to have stronger defences and specifically battlements) was granted in 1309, as the worst Scots raids into Cumbria developed under Robert Bruce. Brougham castle was directly in their path. The rest of the C14 was a troubled and bloody one, and the castle was more or less ruined by the Scots. Left in a poor state of repair until the C16, the 2nd Earl of Cumberland rebuilt it and it was occupied and presumably kept in good condition until the English Civil War. The 'Roundheads' (the Parliamentary army loyal to Oliver Cromwell) destroyed the Castle defences in 1648.

In 1660 Lady Anne Clifford began her restoration work and chose to make the Castle her home. Her grandson and heir Thomas Tufton, 6th Earl of Thanet, took stone from the building for use on the gentrification of Appleby Castle after Lady Anne's death.

Brougham is one of the most impressive castles in the county, a large and generally well preserved ruin in the care of English Heritage and open to the public. The Castle overlooks the River Eamont which flows from Lake Ullswater a few miles to the west. The river bank at the foot of the Castle walls is a popular place for picnics. Nearby is the village of Eamont Bridge, where a battle was fought between the retreating Jacobite army of 'Bonnie' Prince Charlie in the 1745 Rebellion and the English forces in pursuit. In this village is King Arthur's Round Table and half a mile to the west the Mayburgh Henge, both ancient sites of interest. King Arthur's Round Table & Mayburgh Henge

 

 

 

 

Castles
Index
History
Index
Penrith
Town
Main
Index
Next
Castle

 

 Best viewed at 800x600

Copyright EDGE 2001