THE EDGE
VACATION & HOLIDAY GUIDE TO
CUMBRIA & THE LAKE DISTRICT


Appleby Castle Cumbria

  Appleby Castle

 

Location:
OS ref
NY685199
Sheet 91.
At the top of
Boroughgate
in Appleby
town itself.

Brough
Castle

Brougham
Castle

Carlisle
Castle

Dacre
Castle

Dalton
Castle

Egremont
Castle

Kendal
Castle

Muncaster
Castle

Pendragon
Castle

Penrith
Castle

Piel
Castle

Sizergh
Castle

Workington
Hall

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ranulph le Meschin probably began building Appleby Castle around 1100 passing it to the Crown when le Meschin was made Earl of Chester in 1121. The Scots took the castle in 1136 and it was not regained until 1157. Appleby was then given to Hugh de Morville, with Brough Castle not far to the south east, recaptured from the Scots at the same time.

de Morville was probably responsible for the Keeps at both castles, Both were confiscated by the Crown in 1173 and kept until 1179 when they were given to Theobold de Valoines. In 1190 the Crown took possession until 1203 when they were given to Robert de Vipont (a relation of Hugh de Morville) who seriously neglected them.

The Castles changed hands again in 1269, passing to the Clifford family. They remained in Clifford control for the next 400 years, except for the years 1461-1485 during the Wars of the Roses, when confiscated by the Crown.

The Clifford's made many improvements to Appleby Castle, and in 1454 it was rebuilt. However by 1540 the castle was in 'ruinous' condition, and Henry Clifford, 2nd Earl of Cumberland, deliberately damaged the structure to discourage the Scots from attempting to take the Castle. The Civil War in the 1640s inflicted further damage.

In 1651 Lady Anne Clifford, a saviour of many buildings of interest on her estates, began to restore the castle. Lady Anne died in 1679 and her grandson Thomas Tufton, Earl of Thanet, became owner of both Appleby and Brough Castles. Appleby Castle was improved and altered over the period 1686-8 while Brough was allowed to fall into ruin; indeed, stone was taken from Brough and Brougham castles and used at Appleby.

 

appcas2.jpg (14871 bytes)

The Castle is open to the public as a Wildfowl centre. You can walk around the gardens or go into the keep, but the main house is closed to the public. Events are held at the castle each year, such as classic car rallies and others.

 

Copyright EDGE 2001